2018年2月28日 星期三

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.--不要小題大作

這句諺語直譯是「不要把小丘當成大山」,意思就是「不要將簡單的事搞得超級複雜,或將小問題誇張成大問題」。


A: Ms. Lee, I’m sorry. I forgot to hand in my homework!
B: If you can’t even remember to hand in your homework, you must be doing very poorly in your other classes as well…
B: … If you’re doing poorly in your other classes, you won’t get into college…
B: … Without college, no one will hire you…
B: … Without anyone to hire you, the rest of your life is ruined, and you will end up penniless in the gutter
A: Ms. Lee, hold on a second. I just missed one homework assignment. Can you please not make a mountain out of a molehill?

A: 李老師對不起,忘了交作業!
B: 你連交個作業都會忘,其他的課一定也學不好
B: …其他的課學不好,以後一定考不上大學
B: …考不上大學,一定沒人會雇用你
B: …沒人雇用你的話,你的一輩子就完蛋了,註定窮途潦倒
A: 老師,等一下啦,我只是一次作業沒交,請不要小題大作好嗎?

單字
1.      homework (n.) 家庭作業
2.      poorly (adv.) 拙劣地
3.      hire (v.) 雇用
4.      ruin (v.) 毀壞;毀滅
5.      penniless (adj.) 身無分文的
6.      gutter (n.) 水溝
7.      miss (v.) 錯過;未履行
8.      molehill (n.) 鼴鼠丘

片語
1.        hand in 繳交
Bummer! I forgot to hand in my paper this morning.(真糟糕!我今天早上忘了交作業。)

2.        end up 最終(變成)
He will end up in debt if he keeps on spending money like that.(他如果一直這樣花錢,最終會負債。)

3.        hold on a second 等一等
Can you hold on a second? I’ll be right with you.(你可以等一下下嗎?我馬上為你服務。)

沒有留言:

張貼留言